Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Christmas Gift to Myself : Raspberry Pi


Here are some ideas me and my friend Mohit are going to implement when our Raspberry Pi's reach us -

  1. Personal search engine : I have a big collection of ebooks and publications I constantly need to query. So, putting its search index on a webserver would make it accessible to me everywhere and thus fasten up my research quite a lot. I'm going to use recoll for the PSE.
  2. Bit Torrent Sync - Personal data back-up server.
  3. Social network data mining - Using facebook and gmail API this could be easily implemented. Although, I need to find more open source algorithms to run. I am also open to implementing research algorithm [1]. Looking for suggestions here.
  4. Mint Server (mint.com) - My bank sends me alerts after every successful transaction. This makes it easy to implement my own mint.com server and also a splitwise.com.
  5. Bitcoin mining 
  6. Tor server - This was Mohit's idea. This reminds me of  Oscar Wilde's quote.
  7. A personal home music server (Mohit's idea)
  8. A live twitter feed monitoring and LED lighting - something on these lines.

I'm also going to get a Raspberry Pi camera module. It would be nice to create a compressed time-lapse video. I need more suggestions here too.

PS : comments and suggestions required.




No comments:

Post a Comment