Wednesday, December 11, 2013

File Sync without the Cloud

I had to share some large data files with a friend recently. As I was going through the list of usual options :
1. Opera Unite
2. Torrent sharing
3. Dropbox
4. Google Drive
5. wetransfer.com
6. justbeamit.com

I found no fast and cheap option. The painful thing about the good (fast) services is that they do not provide only sync across computers, but require you to upload data to their servers, which is both expensive and insecure.

I found an awesome software, Bitsync, that just works on any device. Yes, even my phone running android. No need to setup port forwarding or go through any tech hassles. And the best feature of all, it's FREE. It's also very fast. Usually when I had to resort to torrent-sharing the speed of download was very slow, but bitsync somehow finds the optimal path.

There are other companies that provide the same service. The best among them is aerofs . You wouldn't require it's paid services for most personal use. Here's a list of all such softwares on how-to-geek .



2 comments: